Monday, May 6, 2013

Mamma Jeanette's Greek Salad

     Anyone who knows my mom, knows what a great cook she is.  What I love about her cooking is that she is the queen of improvising.  Not surprising that she is my biggest inspiration.  I didn't always appreciate the art of "a little of this, a little of that", but I sure do now.   Some of us biddy's need to get creative...at least I do. 

    Here is one of my favorite and easiest recipes.  It took me maybe 10 minutes to prepare.  I do simple and easy...only cuz I'm dizzy most of the time! 


     Directions:  This recipe feeds the hubster and I...the kid doesn't like cucumbers.  He 
                        may be adopted...not sure!  (<<<wink>>> for those of you who don't have
                        a sense of humor!) 

2              Large Cucumbers, peeled and sliced
1.5 Cups   Grape Tomatoes, cut in half 
1/2 Can    Green Olives  (If you don't like green you can use black or Kalamatawhata's!) 
1/4          White Onion, thinly sliced (not diced)....that rhymed!
1 Tbsp      Minced Garlic
                Dried Basil, to taste
                Dried Oregano, to taste ~Fresh is better for these herbs but this is what I had  
                on hand...so there!
1/4 Cup    Feta Cheese ~add just before serving, Otherwise the oil and vinegar will cause
                it to dissolve.  We can't have that!!
Olive Oil
White Vinegar

     In a bowl...throw in the cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, onions, garlic and herbs. (C'mon throw it...you know you want to)


     Next, drizzle with the olive oil and toss. I used about 2 Tablespoons. This is where you get your dizzy shake on.  Again...I don't judge.  The reason you toss with the oil first is because if you add the vinegar first the the oil and herbs won't stick to the vegetables.  An awesomesauce tid bit the mamma taught me!

    Once you've done that, drizzle with white vinegar. Not too much.  For this recipe I used about 1 Tablespoon.  You want to use more oil than vinegar.

    Now, if you're not going to eat right away cover and throw it in the fridge.  Yes, I like throwing things!

    It's time to serve....Finally, add the Feta.  Are you happy now?  Me too...cuz I love me some feta!! OH that white, creamy, velvety goodness.  I'm done.
 

    That's it...my Mamma Jeanette's world famous, award winning Greek Cucumber Salad!   It's an eazzy~Peazzy dish that we make often at our house.  Don't you wanna be like us? <<wink>>

God bless you my dizzy friends!!
~db

No comments: