Thursday, April 4, 2013

Protein Biddy Bars

     Here's a recipe I found on SparkPeople.com, but I added my own dizzy twist to it.  The original recipe left me a little less than excited.  But I was very interested in making my own protein bars because I wanted to control what is in them...no mystery ingredients if you know what I mean. 

These are great on the run and when you need something sweet.  Anyone that knows me...understands I like my sweets!  But I also needed to add more protein to my diet since I workout regularly.  This is perfect for me! 

So here you go my lil biddy babies, this is such an easy recipe and very quick to make.

Protein Powder Bars

1/4 Cup Fresh ground Almond Butter (Store bought natural is fine)
2 Tbsp. Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 Tbsp. Agave Nectar (Optional)
2 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 1/4 Cups Quick Oats (split in half)
3 Scoops Vanilla Whey Protein (Plain or Chocolate)
2 Tbsp. Flaxseed
1/2 Cup water
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp. Fishers Natural Almond slices
1 1/2 Tbsp. Semi-sweet Chocolate chips (43% Cocoa)
1 1/2 Tbsp. Butterscotch chips

In a small skillet lightly toast the almond slices then put on a plate to cool.  Set aside

Next, mix water, vanilla, Hershey's Cocoa, agave nectar.  Set aside.

In your food processor, grind half of the quick oats (3/4 cup) down to a flour consistency.



Now to put it all together:
In a bowl mix 3/4 cup ground oatmeal, 1/2 cup regular quick oats, flaxseed, protein powder, cinnamon, almond butter and cocoa water (that you pre mixed above).  Gently fold in Semi sweet and butterscotch chips.

Pour mixture into a small metal loaf pan lined with parchment or wax paper. Press into pan and top with toasted almond slices...pressing into the top of the dough. Place into the freezer for 20 minutes.


While the dough is setting up, cut parchment paper into 8 squares of approximately 6"x6".

When the dough is nice and cold, take it out of the pan and onto a cutting board.  Cut into 8 slices, and wrap in your parchment paper squares.  Place in a Ziploc baggy and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.


Nutritional Info is based on my own calculations. 
Recipe makes 8 bars @ Approx 185 Calories each


So there you have it!  Hope you enjoy these yummy healthy treats!  Please let me know what you think!


Much love!
~DB

No comments: