Friday, May 31, 2013

Cauliflower Bread

     My sister Shell has really been inspiring me lately.  I've been on a path of healthier eating and exercising for a few years now...but she has really opened my dizzy eyes to new ways of baking and cooking.  At least,  it's new to me.   

     It can get really confusing...Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Atkins....Ugggh!!!   I've struggled with trying to figure out which one is better.   Well, this biddy takes her own path...yep, that's how I roll.  My other,  very wise,  sister Pam told me once  "I don't believe in absolutes".   That really stuck with me.   So I'm taking it easy on myself and just picking healthier recipes that I like...from any of these categories.  Hey, if it keeps me from the golden arches mortuary...I think I'm in good shape.  Bu-baam!

     So...here's this yummy bread my sister told me about.   She found it on liverightbehealthy.blogspot.com.   This is now one of my go to sites when this biddy wants to learn something new. 

   Here's the recipe:

Cauliflower Bread:

1 Grated Cauliflower Head (4 to 5 cups)
4 Tbsp Almond Flour
2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
4 large Eggs
1-2 Tsp Garlic powder
2 Tbsp Finely chopped Rosemary or Oregano

    In a food processor chop, grate...pulverize that cauliflower head.  A good time to release some stress...just say'n.  Just don't make it creamy.
   

 

    In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and then form into 12 flat circles.  Place onto a well oiled baking sheet.  Now when I made these...I pressed them too thin and they came out like a flatbread.  Next time I will leave them a little thicker.  But they are delish!!





     Note:  They will seem "eggy" (that's my lingo...don't wear it out) and very wet.  It's ok...you'll see!!   And ssshh....I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on top before I baked.  I'm crazy like that.




Bake at 400* for 15-20 min.  Or until they don't seem to be full of moisture.  Then Broil for about 4-5 min. until golden brown.  Don't walk away from the oven at this point...keep a dizzy eye on 'em, they get dark quick.




     There are so many ways to serve this.  I made a roast in the crock pot, slow cooker....whatevah you wanna call it.    I shredded the meat and we made sandwiches.  Yumizzy!!!   Other suggestions are to serve with soup or turkey burgers...really anything.   I was thinking it would be awesomeness to add a little corn meal to the recipe and serve with chili.  Oh my!!   I'm sure you could make slight modifications for any type of meal.  So, go ahead...play with your food.  <<wink>>




     According to Live Right Be Healthy...she says if you want the left overs to last, it's best to freeze them.   They do get pretty hard, so  to thaw you can put them in the toaster or directly on the oven rack for 7-10 min. 

They are really good, and if you're a carb lover like me...it's a great substitute.

God bless!
~db

No comments: