Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mamma Jeanette's Hummus

     Here's another one of my favorites!!  I never used to like hummus and for years my mom would make it and ask me if I wanted some.  Sadly, I always said....sigh...no.  Sorry mom!   Then I grew up, had a family, learned to cook and well...here I am.  I love trying new foods and spending time in the kitchen doesn't scare me anymore.  Hi my name is dizzy and it's been 6 months since my last confession.  <<wink>>

     Back to the hummus.  This recipe is so easy and quick to make.  Make sure you have a food processor for this...one that has a decent size bowl if you plan on making the full recipe.  The food processor is your friend!!

     I will give you the basic recipe and at the bottom...fill you in on all the wonderful things you can add to this recipe. 

Mamma Jeanette's Hummus:

4.5  Cups  Garbanzo Beans (3 cans, rinsed and drained)
1 Tbsp       Sesame Oil
1/3 Cup    Warm water
4 to 5        Cloves fresh garlic, minced
1/2 Cup    Fresh Lemon Juice, about 2-3 Lemons
3 Tsp        Cumin  (don't go skimpy on this one...)
1/2 Cup    Tahini (Roasted sesame seeds.  Can be found at 
                                 Sprouts)
Salt to taste



   There is not one ingredient in this recipe that you should skimp on...no, no, no!!!  Each ingredient makes this recipe the awesomeness it is!  Trust me!!




    TAHINI Tip:  When you first open up the can, it needs to be stirred really well.  All of the thick, creamy, nutty, yumminess is stuck at the bottom.  So do your thing girl...do your dizzy thang!!   But don't skip the tahini...hummus isn't hummus without it!!




     As you blend...you can add a little olive oil or more warm water if you want to thin it out a bit.  But just a little at a time. 


 

      Now for the add-ins!  When I make this...2 things NEVER get left out..1/4 cup deli jalapeños and 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers.  Both found in a jar at your local grocery store.  Another combination I want to try is Jalapeño~Cilantro.  Yummizy!!



    Have a happy hummus day.  If you have your favorite add ins...please comment!

 
 
~stay dizzy

No comments: