Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Homemade Extracts

    Holy dizzy extracts!!!  Who knew?  Ok,  probably everyone but me knew you could make your own flavored extracts.  As a matter of fact....there is so much for me to learn.  This blog is not to show you all that I'm a domestic genius.  Tho, if you are thinking that, I will not argue with you.  I write about my journey in discovering these wonderful things.

     I used to be blind and snobby to all things natural and homemade.  That was my official confession...now moving on.  Here I am today, excited and ready to try new things.  That's my story...so there! 

     So here is a couple extracts that really couldn't be easier to make.   And to embarrass myself just a bit, I had no idea that flavored extracts were made with alcohol.  Please tell me one of you didn't know either...it would help my iddy biddy ego so much!!  

      If you want to make an extract you cannot expect to use it right away.  It takes about 6 to 8 weeks, even up to 3 months depending on how strong you want it.

    Lets get started...


Vanilla Bean Extract

5 to 6 Vanilla Beans
Vodka - Don't buy expensive stuff.  It's so not necessary.



     On a clean cutting board cut each vanilla bean lengthwise, leaving it connected at the ends.  Then using a spoon, scrape out the seeds or "Caviar" which I lovingly call vanilla gutz!  But don't throw the gutz away...you need those.

 




     Then, take about 1/4 cup out of the vodka bottle and set it aside.  You are doing this as to leave a little room in the bottle.  I'll explain in a bit.  Take the vanilla gutz and put those into your vodka bottle.


 



     Last, but not least, place the vanilla beans into the vodka bottle making sure that the beans are fully covered in vodka,  and replace the cap.  Give the bottle a little dizzy skake, dance around a bit...again, I don't judge.  Loosen the cap to relieve some of the gasses (hee-hee I said gas), tighten the cap and repeat once more. 
 

 
     Once you've done these things that have taken you all but 10 minutes...date the bottle.  This way you will know that 6 to 8 weeks from now your extract will be ready to use.

     STORE IN A DARK, COOL PLACE!!

   Lastly, every couple of days, gently shake the bottle to mix it up.  That's it.  I'm totally excited about this and can't wait to taste it...in cookies of coarse!!!  You definitely do not want to drink this.  DUH!!!


Chocolate ~ Mint Extract

     Chocolate Mint leaves
     Vodka     Again, don't buy the expensive stuff.  This is about the extract, not the vodka!





     The first thing I read about using mint leaves, is that you need to rub them and slightly tear the leaves before you put in your jar. 






     I didn't make much of this...mostly because I just don't use mint extract a whole lot.  So for the purpose of the blog, I just made a small amount.  

    Take an 8 oz jar (one that has a tight, screw on lid). Fill the jar about 3/4 full with your chocolate mint leaves.  Then fill the with about a 1.5 cups of vodka.  I used the remaining vodka left over from the last recipe.  Just make sure to cover the leaves.

  



     Then, replace the lid, give it a little shake and date your extract.  Again, it will take 6-8 weeks before its ready to use.  You will need to shake it up every couple of days. 


This picture show's I did not use enough mint leaves.  :( My bad!!


     STORE IN A DARK, COOL PLACE!! 

     So that's it!!  These make great gift.  If you make a batch in October...they will be ready for Christmas!  You can find some cute little bottles to put these in (dark bottles preferred), tie a ribbon or pretty tag and you're set!!  

I can't wait till these are ready...time to exercise my patience!!
 
God bless biddy's,
~db

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Can't wait to try it!!!