Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Sweet-Butternut Squash Soup

     I'm feeling punchy...so if you need to step away from this post, I would do so now. 

   Fall is right around the corner...but for Arizona, fall means people go from shorts to jeans, but they still wear flip flops.  They start talking about pumpkin lattes at Charbucks (formerly know as Starbucks) when it's still 99* outside.  Yes, Arizonan's are a strange breed.  Our 73 degree morning weather prompts a light sweater for us that are jealous of the folks in parts of the country where it's legitimate.  Winter here bring's out people who wear sweatshirts with shorts...or tank tops with jeans.  We're either confused or strive for the best of both worlds.  Ah well, such is life!! 

     We are drawing near to Halloween and Thanksgiving.  You would not know that by the wall to wall Christmas decorations at Wallymart (formerly known as Walmart).   So I'm jumping on board the "Fall is here" crazzay train and decided to put my hand in at making a homemade soup.   Hey, if I don't jump on board, I'll get left behind and before I know it I'll be shopping for Valentines day the day after Christmas.   We're so confused....moving along...

    So I LOVE me some butternut squash...could eat it all the time!  Therefore, I put my little biddy brain to work.  The way I do?...turn to giggle (formerly known as google).   I found many recipes for butternut squash soup, and most were very basic, which is my style.  Some were too complicated which goes against everything I believe in.  DOH! 

     TA-DAH!!!  I found this recipe and did what my mamma always taught me...improvise!!  I wanted to make it my own.  Sure anyone could find a recipe on fakebook (formerly known as facebook) and "share" it.   GUILTY!!!  But I wanted my own darn it!!  MINE!!!!

     I am soooo giddy with this recipe.   It reminds me of a Cajun Thanksgiving!  ...ok, weird.  But we love Cajun food...so for the husband, I added that little twist.  Hey, us biddy's love a happy man, right...right?  But there are a couple of other twists I think you might like.   Oh yes....there's twists and turns like the days of our dizzy lives.  {{giggle}}

    Let's get this started!! 

Sweet-Butternut Squash Soup

1 Butternut squash (duh)  Cubed
1 Medium White Onion,Chopped, not diced
1 Large or 2 small Carrots, peeled, rough chopped
1 Large Sweet Potato, peeled and cubed
1 Medium Gala or Granny Smith Apple, peeled & cubed
2 1/2 cups Chicken Stock
1  14oz can of Light Coconut Milk
2-3 Cloves of Garlic
1/2  Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/8  Tsp Chipotle Chile Pepper Seasoning
1/2  Tbsp Orange zest (added after puree)


Sea Salt to taste...but wait till the very end.

Add all ingredients to a large pot or Crock Pot (Slow Cooker if you're type A)  For stove top: Med-Low....for the crock pot: Low.  Cook for approx. 4 hours, stirring occasionally. 


I cooked mine on the stove...but I actually brought it to a light simmer first then turned the heat way down.  It was ready for the next step right at 4hrs.

     Next, you can either use that fancy gadget that purees food right in the pot called an immersion hand blender, OR what I used was my large food processor.  Either way...you need to get all those yummy ingredients pulverized!!

     I used a large slotted ladle to get all the large chunks out and then just put that directly into the food processor.   Do not discard the liquid in your pot!!  No, no, no!!  If you do, then you will just end up with baby food, not soup.  

     Blend on high until everything is creamy, then pour everything back into your pot and mix well with the liquid.


     Now, add the orange zest and cook for another 10 minutes.  Then for the best part...taste it!!  You may need to season it with salt.  I did...and used about 1 Tsp of sea salt.  But you season it to your taste.   If you wanted it spicier, add a little pinch more of Chipotle Seasoning...but trust me when I say...a little goes a long way. 

     I happened to be cooking a roast in my crockaroo that day...so I decided to top my soup with slices of that juicy meat.  It was perfect!!  If that's not your style, try bacon or turkey breast for a more Thanksgiving feel. 
 


     Hope you enjoy this recipe!!  It was really fun to create something that will be in our family for a long time.  With that said...it's time for me to hang up my bikini and pick up that mug of hot cocoa and let "fall" begin!!  

God bless you sweet biddy's, and stay dizZy!

~db

No comments: